Granite For Kitchen counter top, is usually the first choice esp. in India. It looks elegant as well as durable and comes in a variety of colours and natural patterns. Granite is available in a variety of colours and natural patterns. We will talk about different types of granite materials and the pros and cons of granite in this article.
Types of Granite Counter tops
Primarily, there two types of granite counter top materials are available – honed and polished.
As the name suggests, honed granite is whetted and filed using special tools. Honed granite surfaces make for rough-looking countertops. They offer matte finish and are usually available in neutral or subdued colours. Unlike their polished counter top, they offer no gloss at all. There are many homeowners who want to keep the appearance of their kitchen simple and fuss free. Honed granite is more suited to such users.
Polished granite, on the other hand, is finished after several layers of polishing. This is the reason why they appear reflective and glossy. Polished granite is not as glossy as acrylic but is shinier than most other counter top materials such as laminate and membrane. Glossy surface enhances the visibility of the kitchen and lends a sense of added space. It is also easier to clean and maintain.
The choice of granite largely depends on your aesthetic proclivities. But, it is advisable to keep certain practical aspects in mind. The honed granite surface is rather rough because of no polish on its surface. It does not come with sealed pores and therefore it is more vulnerable to stains. This is why it becomes difficult to maintain its looks over time. To keep this surface from staining, we recommend that you polish it at least one or two times in a year. Look out for any hints of moisture in the material. If the honed granite start to absorb too much water, it is time to polish its surface.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Granite
Granite counter tops have become very commonplace. They have their apparent advantages as well as certain disadvantages.
- Granite counter top material is available in a wide range of colours and hues. They give an incredible aesthetic appeal to the kitchen
- Granite is one of the hardest natural materials available. Therefore it is extremely durable. Granite material lasts for several decades
- Granite is easy to clean and maintain, especially if you have the polished one. You can remove grime and stains by simply sweeping the web cloth over the surface. Granite is resistant to stains.
- One of the biggest reasons why granite is the best choice for kitchens is that it is highly resistant to heat. The surface of earth create this material under its surface after years of magma crystallization. You can put hot utensils over the surface without worrying about causing any damage
- Granite is considered as a premium material and hence it is costlier than most other countertops
- Granite is heavy and hence it is difficult to install
- It is also hard to remove. If you need to install new counter top, removal of granite will take a lot of doing
Besides Counter tops, Cabinets plays crucial role in overall kitchen functionality and aesthetics. You should definitely go through following links to explore more-